Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Week 3: Reflection on Blogs and RSS

After reading the four articles for this weeks reflection, I couldn't help but feel that I am definitely in the right class at the right time. As a second career teacher, I have come to realize that while I definitely have the content knowledge for most of my subject areas (Business, Management, Marketing, and Technology), I certainly could use more of the latter for what Weiler commented in his article as "content management". That is, I know what my weaknesses are, and as I learned early in my student teaching assignment, you cannot fake technology. I spent many evenings, and this past summer, brushing up on my Microsoft Office applications, since that is what I was assigned to teach this past Fall. While I have a general interest in technology, I don't necessarily have an interest in how it all works underneath the surface. However, I do know a good classroom tool when I see it.

The web applications learned in last week's class will help with the technology gaps that I have. More importantly, I know what my teacher education preparation program lacked, and I am willing to meet my deficiencies head on. The readings confirmed my belief that World Wide Web is indeed a bountiful harvest for teachers. The trick is to learn how to glean the good applications from the overwhelming number of options. I believe that using Blogger or EduBlog would definitely be an asset as a Business and Technology teacher. I could use it in Management classes, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, or any of the assigned Tech classes. I could use it to discuss case studies, link in e-Tradebook articles, engage the students in Business communication and writing skills, among the ones that immediately come to mind.

Contrary to my initial thoughts on blogging, which was just another WebApp that I don't have time for, I didn't realize as Downes states in his article, that "Blogging is about, first reading, but more important, it is about reading what is of interest to you: your culture, your community, your ideas". What is important here, is that by using Blogging as a classroom tool, I can "model" what readings and open dialogue that I hope to imbue on my students. I can filter the RSS feeds that I deem necessary. At the end of the day, their reflections and the learning process is still up to them, but I believe that I will peak the interest of most students with the technology "hook".

The ability to connect the curriculum to the community of learners beyond my classroom far outweigh any of the negatives that the authors mention about blogs (school restrictions, not being able to write what you really think, home access for poorer students). In addition, the RSS feeds application is a definite must for anyone interested in current events, technology, politics, or any other personal interest. As an educator, I will definitely use this among peers and students alike.

6 comments:

MKB said...

Brad,

You mention an interest in using both blogs and RSS. Can you provide a specific example of what this might look like in your classroom/future classroom?

MKB

kofernandes said...

I loved your observation that you can't "fake" technology! So many tools exist that can enhance our teaching success that i don't want to be the dinosaur who can barely email or enter my grades. In districts where kids are technology rich we as teachers need to be able to utilize the tools with which they are familiar to enhance their mastery of a topic. In the technology poor districts we need to introduce our students to the many tools which exist to increase their capabilities.

doublecruise said...

Well, if I were teaching a Marketing class for example, I would probably write/blog about something current like Viral Marketing and would post my observations or experience with it. Within the actual logs, I would include links to Wiki or other technical data on the use and history of Viral Marketing. Next, I would blog some links to successful viral marketing ads.

As for the RSS feeds, I would use online magazine sources for additional links on the topic of Viral Marketing. This would help model the proper use of RSS as a research tool. I could probably include some YouTube sourced video feeds as well.

Altogether, this would be an unit opener to non-traditional teaching of Marketing, but what I view as critical for the next generation of Career & Tech teaching.

doublecruise said...

Kristin,

Last Fall I had the privilege of teaching in an Urban-area CTC in Detroit, which was blessed with one workstation and computer per student and a very high speed internet capability. At every opportunity, I tried to infuse technology into my lessons, so that they could learn every trick I know. Many of them did not have a computer, or Internet access at home.

What I received in return was a firm reminder of just how blessed I am, despite less than middle class status as a child growing up. My day did not start off with questions of, "what will I eat today?", or "will I have a safe place to sleep?". After sharing in the lives of my 22 students for four months, I was given a very heartfelt bon voyage among all of my students for my efforts. All they asked for was for me to care and do my job as a teacher.

Brad.

malel731 said...

CTE, I couldn't agree more about our need to enhance our technological skills in order to deal with the children of the my space generation. They need the kind of activities that are exciting and will stimulate their interest in learning. This class serves as an excellent model for that exposure and development.

doublecruise said...

Malcolm,

I do believe in a certain level of "Edutainment" if you will, however I firmly believe in trying to make the technology fit the curriculum to the best of my ability. That said, teaching Business is oftent the culmination of direct instruction on the fundamentals of theory, technology, and often one of the other "core" curriculum. Quite a juggling act on any given day!

Brad.