Monday, January 28, 2008

Digital natives, digital immigrants and other generational labels...

After reading the comparitive articles on the Millenium Generation versus their preceding generations (G.I., Boomer, and Gen X), I couldn't help but notice the "experts" need to label all things by virtue of the year they were born. Unfortunately, this trend has found it's way into the mainstream of education research. I have never identified myself or my students as part of any great societal movement where I felt the need to categorize them beyond their individual learning needs. I can recall my own high school teachers telling me that my generation was going to be the first generation to do worse than their parents. After hearing it a few times, I often wondered what that said about them? I do recall feeling quite unsatisfied with such prognostication. As a result, I swore to myself that I wouldn't be worse off than "them" (Boomers for those of you keeping track).

The Reeves and Oh article was objective on the pitfalls of identifying the facts from the fiction of using generational comparitives for the purposes of instructional design. While I too concede that the Millenium generation have had unparalleled access to technology, I would not go so far as to say that any or all of my students have skills that "exceed" my abilities to be an effective teacher. At the end of the day, technology is another tool in my teacher's toolkit, however, it remains just that--a tool. I am not a "digital immigrant" as the Prensky reading might suggest, although I might easily be labeled as such, having been born in 1970.

I further agree that the Millenium generation has a high need for social connectivity in their day to day lives. So much in fact, that I had to constantly remind them that such devices (cell phones, BlackBerries, and other devices) were an impediment to building a community of learners in my classroom. Such reliance on this "interactivity" may have given this group a sense of shared entitlement to such trappings, but it has also triggered an unparalleled phenomenon of any generation on record--a prevalence for cheating. The Reeves article cites a 2006 article that shows 74% of respondents in a 2002 survey admitted to cheating versus just 34% in 1969. Cell phones are just one of the ways this problem has exploded. The ability to plagiarize given the vast amount of information available on the Internet, is but another.

The Howe and Strauss reading was particularly controversial with its many false predictions and assertions on the Millenium Generation. I wholeheartedly agree with the O'Neill (2000) criticism, that it is a "very good bad book". That is, while it does offer some "nuggets" of information and makes an effort to distinguish Millenium kids from other generations, I'm not buying the whole "teamwork first, achievement, modesty and good conduct" that the authors make. A survey of my students' interests outside of the classroom at the beginning of last semester painted a picture completely different from that of the Howe and Strauss model. In fact, many of my Grade 12 students had not completed the required community service component to graduate. Overall, I would have to disagree with much of what many of the authors claim to be fact on what Millenium students represent due to the lack of empirical evidence.

Brad.

4 comments:

Ms. T said...

Hello Brad,

Okay...I just want to say ditto and amen. You hit the hammer right on the nail Mr. It was like I was reading my own writing.
Also, my own daughter is in that community service predicament. She was persistent in getting a job at Record Time, Game Stop or Best Buy. Well, as you know the economy is bad here especially. She did not even entertain the thought of working at a fast-food restaurant...lol. She feels too good to volunteer her time unless it's something that she really enjoys. I finally, convinced her to assist some of her teachers after school.
Tracey

Marge said...

My college daughter at NMU is required to bring a laptop to class every day. They are issued to freshmen and yes do show up on the tuition bill. She admits that she frequently emails and checks my space, facebook, and IM during her teachers lectures. I know I could never focus doing all that but she is on the Dean's List.

This is off topic but Tracey's comment about fast food interested me. My daughter worked at McDonalds all during high school and they were wonderful to her. When she came home from college for holidays they always put her back on the schedule even if for a day. Now she works at Subway in Marquette. They treat their student/workers great, also.
Marge

Ms. T said...

Yes Marge, I myself worked for Mickey-D's back in High School and I enjoyed it. But, this is why I say that I don't like generalizations and groupings, because everyone is an individual. Your daughter is a few years older than mine and yet she enjoys her gig. There are so many factors that play into the construction of one’s mindset that we just can't sweep everyone under this one particular grouping.

doublecruise said...

Marge and Tracie,

The very fact that volunteerism has made its way into the high school graduation requirements speaks volumes about how far societal values have slid. Parents have "jobbed out" the need to teach their own children what it means to give back to the community in terms of charity. This phenomenon knows no race or socioeconomic status. I think it is quite pathetic.

Marge, your daughter's willingness to work in the fast food industry will teach her inumerable lessons on humanity and work ethic.

Brad.