Friday, February 8, 2008

Teaching with Internet-based Resources: Considerations

When considering what Internet-based resources to consider for use in my classroom, I am initally drawn to that oft spoken phrase that Real Estate professionals use; "location, location, and location". More simply stated, I would consider when to use it, why I am using it, and where I have located the resource. When deciding on any resource it is best to look at the utility of the resources. Web-based resources should help with scaffolding complex curriculum or otherwise increase the creativity in both teachers and students. The selected resources should help teachers to expand the overall competency of learners. If all goes well, the students should be encouraged to explore and expand their learning experience beyond the scheduled class time and is always a good way of telling whether you have reached the students or not. Internet and web-enable resources can be a great way to engage the class and infuse the curriculum with technology.

The following suggestions or criteria are offered for additional consideration to determine the overall effectiveness of online educational resources:
  • Is the resource supported or endorsed by an educational source or authority?
  • Will it support students with different learning styles? How does the site cater to special populations, or students with auditory, visual, kinesthetic, or other preferences?
  • Does it have appropriate links or refer to corresponding State or National Curriculum standards? Does your State endorse the site?
  • Does the content make its educational purpose explicit?
  • Is the site content accurate, up to date, reasonably comprehensive, objective and relevant for the learner, and does it use appropriate vocabulary?
  • Is the site easy to use with well-organised material and clear navigation?
  • Does the content meaningfully engage the learner with key content or concepts
  • Does the resource provide support, give feedback, or otherwise offer students and teachers the opportunity for evaluation?
  • Does the resource enhance collaborative learning by encouraging learners to discuss problems, share information and ideas and reach group agreement?
  • Is the site suitable for your target age/grade level?
  • Can your school's technology infrastructure support the site? Will your school's Internet safety (firewall) allow your students access?

While this is an exhaustive list of questions for consideration, it is by no means complete. The bottom line is knowing when it is approptiate to use the Internet in the classroom. As a Business teacher, the above questions are always on my mind when considering how to bolster my lessons or units with technology.

Brad.

7 comments:

ACElliott said...

That is one heck of a list you have. Do you have some favorite sites that fulfill all of the criteria? What aspect of a site do you consider the most important?

TTFN
Allison

Ms. T said...

Alrighty Brad,

As usual, you are inspiring, articulate, and thorough. I look forward to reading your blogs:)

Bonnie said...

I wish I had read your blog before I started typing mine. You have provided a WEALTH of information. Do you think about this "stuff" in your sleep. All of the points you made will be very helpful when considering to use web-based resources in the classroom. One thing I had not considered were the differences between the learners. I forget that some classes are integrating Special Education students and therefore this would have to be acknowledged to make it just as educational and less intimidating for all students. Thanks for your input. It was very helpful and got me to thinking.

Bonnie

doublecruise said...

Allison,

I do have many favorite websites when I'm considering what to bring into the classroom. If I'm trying to introduce ELA-infused curriculum, I often visit sites like Read-Write-Think, or the International Reading Association. If I'm looking for Business Finance or Math Links, I often visit sites like ING-Orange Kids, or Wells-Fargo bank. They often have links for educators with lesson plans and other valuable learning tools (calculators, handouts, etc.).

Brad.

doublecruise said...

Thank-you Tracey.

The military has been good to me. It has taught me to be thorough and reflective whenever possible. That said, some of my lessons do flop, if the sites I have used are not carefully selected. Sometimes I just get to anxious to try something new and don't anticipate any learning difficulties with the site(s) chosen.

Brad.

doublecruise said...

Hello Bonnie,

No I do not think about this stuff when I sleep. But I do think about them when I try to sneak my daily walk in. I replaced the music and headphones with my own thoughts during this valuable time. Sometimes, the thoughts are scary and not meant to be shared!!!

With respect to Special Populations and learning, I.D.E.A and P.L. 501/504 have left teachers no choice with respect to differentiated learning. With that in mind, this is always a criteria when choosing to introduce a website into my demonstrations or lessons.

Brad.

ACElliott said...

Brad,
Saw your post on Bonnie's blog and I wanted to add a couple career sites for you to consider.

Bureau of Labor Statistics
http://www.bls.gov/oco/

JobStar (has many links for different jobs)
http://jobstar.org/tools/career/spec-car.php

TTFN
Allison